Hyderabad, March 31 (IANS): In a shocking incident, a patient at a leading government hospital in Telangana was bitten by rats on Thursday.
The incident happened in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of MGM Hospital in Warangal which is one of the main public hospitals in the state.
Srinivas was bitten by rats on his hands and legs, resulting in bleeding.
The man was being treated for respiratory and kidney conditions and is in critical condition. According to his family members, he was previously undergoing treatment at a private hospital and as they were unable to afford the expenses, they transferred him to MGM Hospital four days ago.
They alleged that the rats had bitten him on the first day and they reported it to hospital staff, who treated him for rat bites. According to them, the rats bit him again on Thursday morning.
“I was shocked to see blood all over the bed. Rats bit his fingers, arms and legs,” said the patient’s brother, Srikant. When he informed the hospital staff, they asked him what he was doing.
“We came here hoping for relief, but his condition worsened with blood loss,” he said.
Some staff members told him that similar incidents had happened in the past and that they had sent written complaints to superiors to take the necessary measures.
Resident doctor Murali said the hospital would take steps to control the threat of rats on the premises.
This is not the first time such an incident has occurred at MGM premises. Two years ago, rats were found munching on bodies in the morgue. Patients were concerned as the threat of rats has now spread throughout the premises, including intensive care.